Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How sad our world has become

I know that we, as humans, are moving forward every day, that with new technology and inventions rolling in every day. We may be intelligent... We may have technology...

On the bus ride home today, it donned on me that we may be moving forward, but at the same time, the image of us as humans is quickly deteriorating, and becoming sickly. It kills me to see peoeple sitting on the side of the road, with the look on their faces "We have no more money.." "We have nothing to eat.." "What are we going to do now?" "I just want a warm place to sleep tonight.."

Their faces alone tell the entire story. And not only that.. There are people who are financially fit, but have an unforgiving, distressed life. Maybe things are going on at home, maybe they're becoming older, and realizing that their exits are coming up at the end of the highway. There are people, VERY good people at heart, who have terrible diseases the spread, and eat away at their very existence.

On my daily bus ride home, I was in a bit of a terrible mood, because I'm always caught in the wrong places, in the wrong time. I looked up, and noticed tat there was a poor woman wearing ragged clothes trying to get on the bus, but she didn't have any money. Thank God, I had an extra dollar to give -- Showing up to a bus without money to get on is degrading, and humiliating.

It makes me sad that I was the only one to offer something as small as a dollar. It makes me sad that we are all together, we all have lives, we've all had our bad days, and we can't bring ourselves to understand one another. At this, my mind exploded with different thoughts, and situations. I began to think, "How many of these people would put their own lives in danger for someone else?" I arrived at the transfer station, but I stay on, because the bus route changes conveniently so that I can stay on, and ride straight to my home. I looked out the window, and noticed people sitting on the ground, huddled together, and a myriad of other "types". It really made me feel bad when someone pulled the butt of a cigarette out of a trash can, desperate for a few puffs of smoke.

The image, intentions, and character of humans have been heavily crippled, and I wish that there were something I could personally do for each and every one of those people. I'm not talking about the people who can have a job, but are too lazy for it. I'm talking about desperate people, willing to do WHATEVER t takes for money, drugs, what ever that may be. It kills me to think that there are women out there that have little to no other options than selling themselves out on the streets to make enough money for food, and shelter. Oh, what could have been.. I am truly lucky to have been born into a family that at least have a trace of moral to it.

I know how it is.. Admittedly, my dad was a drug addict when he lived in the country. I'm not very sure about where he is, what he's doing, or even if he's alive right now.. I remember my parents having some terrible fights, and I used to huddle in my closet waiting for it all to end. My dad was a very desperate man.. I remember sometimes, he'd sit on the couch, high, and he'd swear at me, and act way out of the norm. I'm just glad that all of this happened before I got the general idea of hat he was doing, and how badly it would end up effecting his life. He was so desperate, he actually stole birthday money from me a few years before he was deported.

It's truly terrible that people will do anything they can to conjure up some money to be high for a little while, all just to temporarily forget about their cruel problems in life. On my way home, The things I saw reminded me of what was easily the darkest time of my life. Where did the days go, where people could rely on strangers? Where did the time go when kids in school were sincere? Where did everyone's innocence go? What ever happened to good people? Are we selling away our character for the sake of technology? What happened to the days when everyone generally respected each other? Soon enough, It's going to get to the point that you'll only get respect from someone if you're pointing the barrel of a gun in their face.

I keep thinking.. Is man's "forward" motion really worth it? Is it worth it to be smarter, and more technologically advanced if it's at the expense of our happiness, and good people in the world? People care much less about each other today. It's more of an every-man-for-himself scenario.

I don't think words can express how much I wish there were more decent people in this world. I wish there were more people in this society who would devote a bit of time to helping each other out, and not necessarily meaning donating money, or anything, but simply not being cruel to one another.

So, yeah. Just thought I'd share my thoughts and stuff you people..

No comments:

Post a Comment